Sunday, October 19, 2008

Galveston Tx

I am on a work trip in Texas, and I spent my Sunday in Galveston. About a month ago, the Galveston area was hit with a hurricane. I am amazed at the power of the wind and water. The damage here is very extensive, and yet I am surprised at how many large resorts and hotels survived. Judy and I spent some time here last summer, so I remember how it looked then. I have taken some pictures to give an idea of what a hurricane can do.
The first picture is of what use to be a large shell and souvenir dealer which was built over the water on pilings. There was another restaurant right next to this pier, and you can't see any evidence of that structure at all.
The second is a boat in the middle of the road. There were many of these boats scattered along the highway coming on to the Island, and others on the Island itself. You can see one of these where a large boat was moved by the water into a building, and the building came down on the boat.
You can see a large fishing boat in the parking lot of a restaurant that we ate at. I have no idea how it got there as the water is on the other side of the restaurant. This last picture is of a large truck that is from out of state that is cleaning up all the trash along side of the roads.








No comments: